Samburu to Masai Mara – 8th November 2018

A slightly later start this morning with breakfast at 7.15. We met James half an hour later for the journey to the airport for our 10.10 flight. In the way we stopped to see an Oryx and another large herd of elephants.

  • Oryx
  • Elephants
  • Ostriches

We were almost at the gate to the park when James had a phone call to say that the flight time had changed and we needed to be at the airport! The speed increased and we faced along the unmade road for the next 10 minutes. We arrived at the Main road and sped song until we arrived at another conservancy. Here we turned off onto more unmade roads and travelled for another 5 minutes until we arrived at the airport. However, it wasn’t an airport in any sense of the usual description. There were no check in desks and the only aircraft was parked not far away.

We were asked our names and loaded our own cases into the plane. (No need to worry about the strict 15kg weight limit.) We climbed on board and the pilot have a short briefing about our flight which would have 5 stops. And then we were off!


The plane stopped 3 times in the North with about 15 minutes in between each stop. The was there an hour long flight to the Mara where we stopped at an airstrip to drop some passengers off. As we coming into land there were wildebeest running across the runway in front of us! He we were advised of a change of plan with another stop before our destination.

From the air it was easy to see the change in landscape with far less trees or scrub. The heat rising from the ground made the last two hops quite bumpy.

We were treated at the airport by our guide, Samson and took a short (2 minute) rude to the resort. After the usual check in procedures, where almost everyone introduced themselves, we were shown to our room. It’s got a great view!

The bedroom

Deer outside the room

  • Baboon
  • Buffalo
  • Thomson’s gazelle
  • Wildebeest
  • Common zebra
  • Common sandpiper
  • Nile crocodile
  • Hippo
  • Topi
  • Elephant
  • Lions
  • Hyena
  • Wart hog
  • Tawny eagle
  • Masai giraffe

After food, we met Samson, our new guide for an afternoon Safari. We’ve swapped our Toyota Landcruiser for a Land Rover defender with open sides and roof.

We left at 3.30 pm and didn’t get back until 3 hours later. The sights included wildebeest on their migration, a pride of lions who had clearly eaten very recently, hippos, buffalo and elephants.

Wildebeest crossing a river
Hippo tracks
Elephants (and Ed)
Male lion
Close encounter

African Savannah
Well fed lions!

We drove on back to the camp, passing a nursing hyena on the way.

We came back to the camp as it was getting late and so we had a quick shower before he rooms of the day don’t count. We headed to the bar fit a sundowner and sort our pics.

After doing this we went to the restaurant and had a three course meal. By now it was late and we have an alarm call for 5.30 am.

Gecko on the table

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: